The World Heritage site of Hallstatt has a history of 7,000 years. Due to the prehistoric mining in Hallstatt, a separate epoch was even named after her. It is home to the oldest salt mine in the world. In 1997, the city was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List because of its uniqueness. Only one reason for the special ity lies in the construction of the old houses, which were built like swallow’s nests in the mountain.
Things to do in Hallstatt:
- Archaeological excavations
Visit finds from different eras under the sports shop Janu
- Salzbergtrain / Observation platform “World Heritage View”
The Salzbergtrain brings you to the Hallstätter high valley in just a few minutes.
- Beinhaus Michaelskapelle
It has existed since the 12th century AD.
- Dachstein chapel Hallstatt
At an altitude of 2206 metres, it is considered the highest church in the northern Limestone Alps.
- Evangelical Christ Church Hallstatt
- Lake Hallstättersee Shipping
- Calvary Church Hallstatt
Catholic Parish Church Hallstatt
- East bank hiking trail
If you want to walk on one of the most beautiful hiking trails in the Salzkammergut, this is the right place.
- Salt Worlds Hallstatt
It is the oldest salt mine in the world. Travel 7000 years into the past in 400 meters underground.
- Theme Trail Echerntal
The well signposted hiking trail leads through the wildly romantic Echerntal and ends at the breathtaking Waldbachstrub waterfalls.
Events in Hallstatt:
- Full moon ride over Lake Hallstättersee from April to September
- Trips with the old salt ship from April to October
- Seer Tent Festival at Lake Hallstättersee in Bad Goisern 31 May (3 days)
- Goiserer summer carnival May 31. In the lido Untersee, Bad Goisern
- Great tour over Lake Hallstättersee from June to September
- “Obertrauner Bergerlebnis 2019” Echo and Sage bubbles at the lake July 10 at 8 p.m. in the Obertrauner Bay in Obertraun
- Hallstättersee Swimming Marathon 2019 on August 3 in Hallstatt
- Lake Concert on the picturesque Hallstättersee 16 August 9 pm in Hallstatt
- St. Nicholas comes across the lake November 30, 4.30 pm to 7 pm Strandbad Obertraun